Macmillan Academy Teaching School works collaboratively with the other Teaching Schools in Middlesbrough to support schools, provide professional development opportunities and ensure that recruitment into teaching and retention of teachers is a high priority in the local area. Macmillan Teaching School Alliance is an integral element of Endeavour Academies MAT. Our Alliance is made up of primary, secondary, independent and HEI partners working not only in Middlesbrough but across the North East region.
We believe that whole staff in the alliance becomes the Teaching School workforce as we follow our vision to ensure that all schools become better for all students in the system, whilst maintaining the excellent standards at the home school. Teaching Schools are about developing and improving schools for the benefit of all staff and students and for the moral purpose of improving the education system for all students. Our vision aligns with that of the TSC - that every child goes to a great school, that every school is entitled to effective support, that every school is a giver of support and that every school is in an effective partnership.
Key areas of work to highlight:
- Get into teaching - Teacher Taster Week – June 2019 for individuals interested in finding out about a teaching career
- Teacher Training Routes - We are involved in PGCE, School Direct and SCITT teacher training routes.
- Expert Teacher Programme - This is our 6 year training and development programme to support and challenge colleagues from NQT to M6. It is based on John Hattie’s research - ‘Distinguishing between experience and expertise.’
- Middle Leader development - We have an established middle leader programme, which has recently been re-designed to be cross-phase and aligned with NPQ.
- Maths Hub - Our Maths Hub offers a variety of training opportunities for both primary and secondary teachers as well as Masterclasses aimed at students working at greater depth in KS2 and KS4.
School to school support
- At present Macmillan Teaching School has 3 Primary and 4 Secondary SLEs. Our CEO is an NLE and one of the Head teachers from a partner school is a LLE. Macmillan Teaching School has also been involved in delivering secondary bespoke school to school support. This support was requested by partner schools and successfully delivered by our team of experts (SLEs, heads of department and senior leaders).
Get in touch
Director of Teaching School – Amy Tumelty (email@example.com)
Teaching School e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching School website – www.macmillanteachingschool.org.uk