St. Bede's Catholic School and Sixth Form College was successfully designated as a new teaching school in the summer of 2014. St Bede's is a secondary voluntary aided comprehensive school located seven miles west of Durham City.
Our alliance is cross-phase with a number of primary, secondary and university partners. As an inclusive alliance we aim to play a key role in supporting educational improvement in the region and in the recruitment of the next generation of teachers.
- In partnership with Durham SCITT, we provide a rigorous programme of Initial Teacher Training alongside a bespoke training package at St. Bede's.
- St. Bede's is the lead school and license holders for Leadership for the North East (L4NE) We deliver the National Professional Qualifications in Middle and Senior Leadership (NPQML and NPQSL) as well as the National Professional Qualification in Headship (NPQH).
- We are committed to offering a wide range of high quality professional development opportunities.
- Our School to School Support team utilise the strength and talents of school leaders, who with credibility and a wealth of experience, can help schools in the North East improve.
- We have six Specialist Leaders of Education with a range of expertise in both the primary and secondary sectors, who are available for deployment.
- We are committed to being at the cutting edge of teaching and learning strategies and enhancing our pedagogy through trialling new ideas. Action Research is an ideal way to develop this philosophy within St Bede's. We have a close partnership with Newcastle University and have designed an MA programme to complement staff based CPD through the development of Action Research and also leadership development.
- St Bede's Teaching School Alliance are also working on a Closing the Gap: Test and Learn two year project. This is focusing upon the development of Growth Mindsets in conjunction with Plymouth University and a separate project focusing upon Evidence Based Teaching across partner schools.
Get in touch
St. Bede's Catholic School and Sixth Form College
Anna Herdman, Teaching School & AEN Admin Lead